First Look At January 2020 Mortgage Data
Mortgage Delinquencies Fall to Lowest Level on Record; January Sees Strongest Decline in More Than a Year
- Mortgage delinquencies fell by more than 5% in January, hitting their lowest level on record dating back to 2000
- January’s 14% year-over-year decline is the strongest in more than 12 months, with the rate of improvement picking up noticeably in recent months
- There are now fewer than 2 million homeowners past due on their mortgages or in active foreclosure, the fewest since March 2005
- Despite the decline in delinquencies, foreclosure starts edged upward in January, but remain nearly 15% below last year’s levels
- The number of loans in active foreclosure remained relatively flat for the month (+1,000 properties in foreclosure), and down 19,000 from the same time last year, leaving the national foreclosure rate unchanged
- Though falling by 15% in January, prepayment activity remains 113% above last year’s levels
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Feb. 20, 2020 – Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) reports the following “first look” at January 2020 month-end mortgage performance statistics derived from its loan-level database representing the majority of the national mortgage market.
*Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state.
- Totals are extrapolated based on Black Knight’s loan-level database of mortgage assets.
- All whole numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand, except foreclosure starts, which are rounded to the nearest hundred.
The company will provide a more in-depth review of this data in its monthly Mortgage Monitor report, which includes an analysis of data supplemented by detailed charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations. The Mortgage Monitor report will be available online at https://www.blackknightinc.com/data-reports/ by March 2, 2020.
For more information about gaining access to Black Knight’s loan-level database, please send an email to Mortgage.Monitor@bkfs.com.
About Black Knight
Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) is an award-winning software, data and analytics company that drives innovation in the mortgage lending and servicing and real estate industries, as well as the capital and secondary markets. Businesses leverage our robust, integrated solutions across the entire homeownership life cycle to help retain existing customers, gain new customers, mitigate risk and operate more effectively.
Our clients rely on our proven, comprehensive, scalable products and our unwavering commitment to delivering superior client support to achieve their strategic goals and better serving their customers. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.