First Look At January 2018 Mortgage Data
Mortgage Delinquencies Decline Sharply in January; Hurricanes’ Lingering Impact on Performance Continues
- Calendar-driven effects and fewer hurricane-related delinquencies resulted in a 210,000-loan decline in the number of past-due mortgages
- Despite an 8.6 percent monthly decline, delinquencies remain 1.3 percent above last year’s levels
- 146,000 loans remain delinquent as a result of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, 132,000 of which are seriously delinquent (90 or more days past due)
- An early look at January data on the mortgage market in Puerto Rico shows an additional 57,000 loans still delinquent as a result of Hurricane Maria, with 49,000 seriously delinquent
- Active foreclosures predating the hurricanes, but put on hold after the storms, have begun to revert back to that status as post-hurricane foreclosure moratoria become set to expire
- As a result, foreclosure starts rose sharply in January, hitting a 12-month high at 62,300 for the month
- The population of loans in active foreclosure rose 6,000 month-over-month, marking only the second monthly rise in more than five years
Jacksonville, Fla. – Feb. 23, 2018 – Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) reports the following “first look” at January 2018 month-end mortgage performance statistics derived from its loan-level database representing the majority of the national mortgage market.
*Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state.
- Totals are extrapolated based on Black Knight’s loan-level database of mortgage assets.
- All whole numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand, except foreclosure starts, which are rounded to the nearest hundred.
The company will provide a more in-depth review of this data in its monthly Mortgage Monitor report, which includes an analysis of data supplemented by detailed charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations. The Mortgage Monitor report will be available online at https://www.blackknightinc.com/data-reports/ by March 5, 2018.
For more information about gaining access to Black Knight’s loan-level database, please send an email to Mortgage.Monitor@bkfs.com.
About Black Knight
Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) is an award-winning software, data and analytics company that drives innovation in the mortgage lending and servicing and real estate industries, as well as the capital and secondary markets. Businesses leverage our robust, integrated solutions across the entire homeownership life cycle to help retain existing customers, gain new customers, mitigate risk and operate more effectively.
Our clients rely on our proven, comprehensive, scalable products and our unwavering commitment to delivering superior client support to achieve their strategic goals and better serving their customers. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.