First Look At August 2018 Mortgage Data
Strong Summer of Improvement for Mortgage Delinquencies; Industry Bracing for Impact from Hurricane Florence
- Mortgage delinquencies fell again in August and are now down 5.7 percent over the past two months
- This marks the strongest such decline during July-August on record, since before 2000
- Foreclosure starts also eased in August and are now more than 12 percent below last year’s level
- Delinquencies resulting from 2017’s hurricanes continue to decline – just 25,100 remain in the mainland U.S.
- Some 391,000 homeowners with mortgages were located in Hurricane Florence’s evacuation area, with an estimated 283,000 in the 18 North Carolina counties declared disaster areas so far by FEMA
- If homeowners face similar per capita impacts to those seen from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma last year, it could result in thousands of mortgage holders falling behind on payments
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Sept. 24, 2018 – Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) reports the following “first look” at August 2018 month-end mortgage performance statistics derived from its loan-level database representing the majority of the national mortgage market.
*Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state.
- Totals are extrapolated based on Black Knight’s loan-level database of mortgage assets.
- All whole numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand, except foreclosure starts, which are rounded to the nearest hundred.
The company will provide a more in-depth review of this data in its monthly Mortgage Monitor report, which includes an analysis of data supplemented by detailed charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations. The Mortgage Monitor report will be available online by Oct. 8, 2018.
For more information about gaining access to Black Knight’s loan-level database, please send an email to Mortgage.Monitor@bkfs.com.
About Black Knight
Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) is an award-winning software, data and analytics company that drives innovation in the mortgage lending and servicing and real estate industries, as well as the capital and secondary markets. Businesses leverage our robust, integrated solutions across the entire homeownership life cycle to help retain existing customers, gain new customers, mitigate risk and operate more effectively.
Our clients rely on our proven, comprehensive, scalable products and our unwavering commitment to delivering superior client support to achieve their strategic goals and better serving their customers. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.