- Mortgage delinquencies fell by more than 5% in January, hitting their lowest level on record dating back to 2000
- January’s 14% year-over-year decline is the strongest in more than 12 months, with the rate of improvement picking up noticeably in recent months
- There are now fewer than 2 million homeowners past due on their mortgages or in active foreclosure, the fewest since March 2005
- Despite the decline in delinquencies, foreclosure starts edged upward in January, but remain nearly 15% below last year’s levels
- The number of loans in active foreclosure remained relatively flat for the month (+1,000 properties in foreclosure), and down 19,000 from the same time last year, leaving the national foreclosure rate unchanged
- Though falling by 15% in January, prepayment activity remains 113% above last year’s levels
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Feb. 20, 2020 – Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) reports the following “first look” at January 2020 month-end mortgage performance statistics derived from its loan-level database representing the majority of the national mortgage market.
*Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state.
- Totals are extrapolated based on Black Knight’s loan-level database of mortgage assets.
- All whole numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand, except foreclosure starts, which are rounded to the nearest hundred.
The company will provide a more in-depth review of this data in its monthly Mortgage Monitor report, which includes an analysis of data supplemented by detailed charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations. The Mortgage Monitor report will be available online at https://www.blackknightinc.com/data-reports/ by March 2, 2020.
For more information about gaining access to Black Knight’s loan-level database, please send an email to Mortgage.Monitor@bkfs.com.
About Black Knight
Black Knight (NYSE:BKI) is a leading provider of integrated software, data and analytics solutions that facilitate and automate many of the business processes across the homeownership lifecycle.
As a leading fintech, Black Knight is committed to being a premier business partner that clients rely on to achieve their strategic goals, realize greater success and better serve their customers by delivering best-in-class software, services and insights with a relentless commitment to excellence, innovation, integrity and leadership. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.