- The divergence between early-stage delinquencies and seriously past-due mortgages continues to widen as fewer delinquent loans cured to current status in August
- Overall, the national delinquency rate fell just 0.03 basis points from July after declining a combined 0.85 basis points over the prior two months, a noticeable slowing in the rate of improvement
- The share of borrowers with a single missed payment had already fallen below pre-pandemic levels; in August, the sum of all early-stage delinquencies (those 30 and 60 days past due) fell 9%, dropping below that benchmark as well
- However, the improvement in early-stage delinquencies was offset by a 5% increase in serious delinquencies – those 90 or more days past due – which have now risen in each of the past five months
- August’s rise in serious delinquencies was the mildest of those five months, suggesting that they may be nearing their peak
- While there are nearly 2 million more seriously delinquent homeowners than at pre-pandemic levels, foreclosure activity remains muted due to active forbearance plans and foreclosure moratoriums
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – September 23, 2020 – Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) reports the following “first look” at August 2020 month-end mortgage performance statistics derived from its loan-level database representing the majority of the national mortgage market.
*Non-current totals combine foreclosures and delinquencies as a percent of active loans in that state.
- Totals are extrapolated based on Black Knight’s loan-level database of mortgage assets.
- All whole numbers are rounded to the nearest thousand, except foreclosure starts, which are rounded to the nearest hundred.
The company will provide a more in-depth review of this data in its monthly Mortgage Monitor report, which includes an analysis of data supplemented by detailed charts and graphs that reflect trend and point-in-time observations. The Mortgage Monitor report will be available online at https://www.blackknightinc.com/data-reports/ by Oct. 5, 2020.
For more information about gaining access to Black Knight’s loan-level database, please send an email to Mortgage.Monitor@bkfs.com.
About Black Knight
Black Knight (NYSE:BKI) is a leading provider of integrated software, data and analytics solutions that facilitate and automate many of the business processes across the homeownership lifecycle.
As a leading fintech, Black Knight is committed to being a premier business partner that clients rely on to achieve their strategic goals, realize greater success and better serve their customers by delivering best-in-class software, services and insights with a relentless commitment to excellence, innovation, integrity and leadership. For more information on Black Knight, please visit www.blackknightinc.com.